Wednesday, October 28, 2009

NANO Kickoff Big Success


Went to the NANO Kickoff last night at No Idea Bar. Great stuff. For those of you not familiar with NANO and National Novel Writing Month it is the shiznit, it's awesome! Chris Baty some years back made the writing marathon into a colossal community experience. You have 30 days to write a 50,000 word novel that's the whole kit and caboodle. It's all run on the honor system so don't think about cutting and pasting stuff into the system. Big brother is keeping his eye on you.

I participated and won back in 2006. I'm making my second appearance and I'm way psyched. I met a lot of cool people yesterday who are planning on writing all different kinds of novels running the gamut from dead-on-balls literary to retro zombie, swords and dragon fantasy sci-fi romance and futuristic cowboy.

Shades of Luz didn't come out of my 2006 NANOfest, but I think I will craft something snazzy this time around. Keep tuning in to my posts. I will have some NANO writers on Paper Cut soon, including 3-time NANO champ Katherine Gilraine, author of The Index Series.

Off to the Behind the Book charity event tonight. Paparazzi welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to a kick-off party Friday night here in Honolulu. This is my (gasp) seventh attempt to hit the 50k! Due to an obnoxious inner editor, I usually make it to around 35k. But not this time, baby. I'm going to shoot out the Romanian story come hell or high water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Beans! Right on. You slap back that inner editor. I think George Saunders calls it the inner nun. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I found out that this Panera Bread near my stead has NANO write-ins. I'm not big on those but I might pop in for a cup a joe and a choco croisant.

    Happy typing.

    ReplyDelete